Followers

Tuesday, 15 January 2013

Faffage!

A special, scheduled post for you today. Let me explain the title to you. I am no nail artist. In my head I'm a total pro and and have countless ideas for nail art which I expect to be effortless and with fantastic results but which, in reality, are abject failures. Clearly my expectations of my own capabilities are way too high, so I have had to try to learn my limits and reign it in a bit. Hence, when I do "nail art" these days, it is always simple and requires very little technique. I therefore don't feel comfortable calling it nail art, so instead I call it "faffing". I love faffing with my nails, and so here today is just a teeny, tiny selection of faffs. 







A base of Nails Inc "Maiden Lane" with dots of Nails Inc "Eagle Street". I used a dotting tool to apply the dots, and finished with a matte top coat (Nails Inc "Westminster Bridge")


A base of Rimmel Lycra Pro "Beige Babe" with Barry M "Copper" sponged on the tips. This was a simplified version of a gradient manicure - I used the one colour to sponge, placed a blob of it onto a piece of tin foil, dipped my sponge into it, and dabbed in onto my nails, starting at the tips and working towards the base.


Stripe manicure using Evie Mai "Purple Berry" over Avon Arabian Glow Nailwear Pro in "Funky Fuchsia". I had already applied the pink Avon polish the day before so it was dry. I then strategically placed strips of striping tape on my nails, painted the purple polish over the top, and then removed the tape. Very fiddly, but worth the effort.


Easy peasy freehand funky French manicure. China Glaze "Harvest Moon" with Nicole by OPI "Disco Dolls" on the tips.


"Ruffian" (or reverse half moon) manicure. Started with a base of Nails Inc "Manchester Square" (pink) and applied Nails Inc "Symons Street" on top. Google "Ruffian manicure" for many informative tutorials.


China Glaze "Short And Sassy" with some extremely dodgy stripes and dots of NOPI "Disco Dolls".



And to finish with, another freehand funky French manicure. Nails Inc "Wilton Row" with Models Own "Pinky Brown" from their Beetlejuice collection on the tips.

Well there you have it, just a few of my many faffs. I will post more in the future! Which one is your favourite? I personally like the dotty manicure the best, really cute and fun!

Thanks for reading, and come back again soon :) x



11 comments:

  1. I think these are nail art, not just faffs:) you do yourself a diservice:) I LOVE your ruffians, and the name - I didn't know they had an offical term.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are all gorgeous! I think you are very talented :) I think it's easy to get hung up on tiny little imperfections... these all look fantastico! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both so very much!! Really pleased you enjoyed this post :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the dots and the ruffians!!!!!!!!!
    You are an artist
    Stop being so humble and share more of your creations
    Thx
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I will surely share more in the future :) xx

      Delete
  5. I like the stripes - great contrast and very striking (striking striping, teehee!) In fact, I'm just going to order myself some tape! Alice xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe "striking striping", very good Alice ;) Thank you! xx

      Delete
  6. Lovely nails!! The stripes are my fave xx

    ReplyDelete